These studies are specialised x-ray procedures using a solution containing barium to examine the gastrointestinal tract, namely the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine and large intestine.
The most common studies are barium swallows, barium meals and barium enemas.
- Do not take any food or drink 6 hours before your appointment;
- Avoid smoking during this period as well;
- Continue all medications if you are on medication. However, if you are a diabetic and you are not taking any food, then please do not take your anti-diabetic drugs.
- Low-residue diet is required before the examination. Food that may be taken during this period are: - clear soup, lean meat, steamed fish, boiled rice, boiled potatoes and porridge
- Avoid vegetables, cereal, milk or creamy products, fruits, and oily/fatty food.